Since 2009, EnergyCAP, Inc.’s non-profit organization, Global Capacity, has played an active role in helping the African country of Rwanda achieve its national education mission:
- To combat ignorance and illiteracy
- To provide human resources useful for socio-economic development of Rwanda through education & training
Global Capacity’s mission is based on the belief that that every child, regardless of the economic condition into which s/he is born, deserves the opportunity to receive a quality education. In Rwanda, a high school diploma not only improves the child’s quality of life, but also helps to alter the on-going cycle of poverty for the student’s entire family.
In 2018, Global Capacity hopes to provide full high school or vocational school scholarships to 45 Rwandan students, and each scholarship provides much more than just tuition assistance. Our Right2School program takes a holistic approach, with each scholarship covering a wide range of student expenses:
- School fees: Funds for school fees for one year, with the expectation of on-going support
- Health insurance: Health insurance for one year
- Hygiene items: Soap, toothpaste, and a toothbrush
- Transportation: Transportation to and from school
- Home kit: Mattress and pillow, two sets of sheets, lockbox, mosquito net, wash basin, squeegee, towel
- School uniform and materials: two required school uniforms, notebooks, pencils, protractors, rulers, and other required learning tools
Since 2011, Global Capacity-provided scholarships have funded high school and vocational degrees for 41 students. Much of the support comes from EnergyCAP employees, whose donations fund 27 annual scholarships.
You can help us continue our valuable work by attending Global Capacity’s annual fundraising event, a dessert reception, on September 22, 2017 in Boalsburg, PA. “Room for Dessert” attendees will hear firsthand accounts of the program’s success, and a marketplace featuring handmade Rwandan crafts will be available for your shopping pleasure. All monies raised go directly to the scholarship fund. A new area of work for 2018 will also be unveiled.
To learn more about Global Capacity’s impact and lend your support to our on-going mission, please register to attend the Room for Dessert event. If you’re not able to attend the event but want still want to help, you can make a donation online at any time.
If you would like to receive future updates about sponsored students and other Global Capacity activities, subscribe to the monthly newsletter at http://www.globalcapacity.org/contact. You may also contact Matthew Heinz, EnergyCAP’s V.P. of Customer Service and the founder of Global Capacity, for more information.
And to all our EnergyCAP users, we say “Thank you.” Your on-going use and support of EnergyCAP help us continue our support of deserving students across the nation of Rwanda.